httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: POST
Date Tue, 01 Oct 2002 02:32:38 GMT
On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 06:58:45PM -0400, Ryan Bloom wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, Greg Stein wrote:
> > A secondary issue is possibly refining mod_dav's handling. But that is a
> > *very* deep problem. The specified resource might not be in the filesystem,
> > so it would be *invisible* to Apache if mod_dav doesn't handle it. The grey
> > area is when you're working with mod_dav_fs.
>
> It may be time to bite the bullet and abstract out the FS from the core
> server.  It would be a PITA, and it would mean a major re-factoring of DAV
> code, because mod_dav wouldn't have the repository code anymore.  Instead,
> it would be a part of Apache itself.  I believe that is the only way that
> you are actually going to solve this problem cleanly though.

While I agree, it is also a seriously huge problem. The notion of an
underlying system is *so* pervasive, that it isn't even funny.

Just consider the "directory/location walk" stuff. That mechanism needs to
change to some location-oriented thing because Apache will only understand
locations. And to move to a loc-oriented model requires a new internal
mechanism for loc-oriented config spaces...

Maybe we can being a long-term planning doc on how Apache will move away
from knowledge about the FS to an agnostic point of view? And then identify
the steps on that path, and which will break compat.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/