httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject Re: mod_blanks
Date Thu, 26 Sep 2002 12:43:03 GMT

On Thu, 26 Sep 2002, [iso-8859-1] fabio rohrich wrote:

> I'm going to develop this topic for thesis.
> Has anybody of you any suggest for it?

Apache 2.0 filtering is cool !

> Something to addin the development

Of course the 'right' place to do this is when the content is generated -
either by the editor or on the fly by an xslt or what not.

Also it is quite common that when a page is split up for specific browsers
it is reduced in size measurable.

> - mod_blanks: a module for the Apache web server which would on-the-fly
> remove unnecessary blank space, comments and other non-interesting
> things from the served page.  Skills needed: the C langugae, a bit of
> text parsing techniques, HTML, learn Apache API.  Complexity: low to
> moderate (after learning the API).

> Usefulness: moderate to low (but maybe better than that, it's a kind of
> nice toy topic that could be shown to save a lot of bandwith on the
> Internet :-).

Well.. what is going to save even more is looking at Expire/Cache control
carefully, and keepalive :-)

Dw