httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject Re: instdso.sh - basename confusion
Date Tue, 24 Sep 2002 15:43:58 GMT

On Tue, 24 Sep 2002 rbb@apache.org wrote:

> If you already have the .so, why would you use apxs?  The whole point of
> apxs, is to build the module, and get it into the source tree.  If all you
> are using apxs for, is to edit the config file, I would suggest that there
> are better tools available for that job.

Well, that may be another approach. But I *really* like it that apache
comes with this 'tool', its own package management if you may say so,
which allows you to say; Hey! here is a binary - just suck it in please.

So another option would be to have a second 'addmodule' command which
understands just enough to do this; i.e. it knows

	-> where is my server root ?
	-> is there a mod_so in the httpd binary ?
	-> where should the modules live ?
	-> where is the config file and what do I need to add ?
	-> what file permssions should they have on this platform ?
	-> do I need to run a postfix command for rebinding ?

apxs does 95% of that; perhaps it should do 80% and another util 20%.

DW