httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: mod_custom_log exits too late?
Date Mon, 16 Sep 2002 10:41:07 GMT
On Sun, Sep 15, 2002 at 01:24:19AM -0700, Brian Pane wrote:
> I.e., proceed with the release of 2.0.41 now (given all the
> stability and performance fixes, I don't want to delay its
> release any longer), and then spend, say, the next month
> cleaning up APIs for a 2.0.42 release.  That would also
> be a good opportunity to put out a formal call for comments
> from third party module developers before "freezing" the
> API.

You're fooling yourself if you think that is possible. There is no way to
proactively know that your API is correct. Only after further development
will you know whether your API suits whatever it is that you're trying to
accomplish. Of course, *that* changes all the time, so your API is going to
be changing all the time, too.

The best that you can do is *resist* API changes. But you can't plan for a
stable API.

Cheers,
-g

--