httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ian Holsman" <li...@holsman.net>
Subject Re: Direction was Re: mod_custom_log exits too late?
Date Sun, 15 Sep 2002 23:21:06 GMT
On Sun, 15 Sep 2002 05:21:27 -0700, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 15, 2002 at 09:37:19AM -0700, Ian Holsman wrote:
>> maybe we could sit down and think for 2 seconds and get a plan going on
>> what we want to see in 2.0 in the next couple of months, and what kind
>> of API changes are required to do it, instead of just hacking or
>> changing something because (it's ugly, run's .001% faster, supports
>> feature XYZ, insert other reason here)
>
> It's a noble cause, but I believe it's misguided.  Our goal is to produce
> the best code we can - that means if we can make it run .001% faster, we
> should do that.  If we want features, we can add them.  If we think the
> code is ugly, we should rectify that.  There should be no excuse for
> leaving code that isn't 100% right.

poppycock.

you just mentioned 4 things you would like to see happen in the next
couple of months each which would require a MMN jump.

all I am asking is that we start a list of these things, and possibly a
paragraph describing what needs to be changed (not a weighty tome as you
seem thing a design doc is) and stick it in the status.

Some of these changes to the API could be done before the new
functionality is added, combining the MMN jumps into a 'refactoring'
release.

as for we don't know what is coming ahead of us.. while we can never
anticipate all the things (like your PHP developer example) which are
going to happen, we CAN start making choices now for >WE< the apache
server see us going in the next 3-6 months so we can choose our direction
instead of just stumbling around in the dark and adding features and
functionaility in such a adhoc manner

I'm going to stop, as I know there are certain comitters who hate the
concept of thinking ahead, and will never even consider thinking of where
they want apache to be in 3 months.

and as far as apache2 being stable... I don't think it is. The code might
serve pages, but people are voting with their feet, and so far only 6000
feet are saying that it is.

--Ian