httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: mod_custom_log exits too late?
Date Sun, 15 Sep 2002 03:00:55 GMT
On Sat, Sep 14, 2002 at 07:16:36PM -0700, Ian Holsman wrote:
> > Yes, Huge +1!!
> >
> I disagree on this.
> if we know we are about to break something then we should do it >before<
> we release.

Although this sounds tempting, it it just another "me too" that would
better be ignored by the RM*, **.

*It's always up to the RM.

**I'd like to volunteer for to be the RM for 2.0.42.

> do you realize how many people HATE having to recompile their modules,
> and what a pain it is for commerical vendors to support?

I can only think of two times where an admin _must_ recompile their
modules:

1) We made a security-fix release, and they have to be up to date or
   risk exploit exposure.

2) They want to use a new feature that is only in the new version but
   in the mean time some MMN was bumped.

I have sympathy for the first group. The second group is going to be
happier that our stuff gets released sooner rather than later, and
they'll also be happier if the end result is stability. (And to show
their happiness they'll even volunteer to test our stuff and give us
valuable feedback). Whenever we hold up a release for a last-minute fix
we are not only delaying a release (that people are waiting for) but we
are also increasing the chance that there will be a bug in the release.

Anyway, this is all IMHO, :)
-aaron