httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <>
Subject [ Why did you change the way the URI handles whitespace?]
Date Sun, 08 Sep 2002 22:27:08 GMT
Not acked,

----- Forwarded message from "" <> -----

From: "" <>
Subject: Why did you change the way the URI handles whitespace?
To: <>
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2002 16:26:15 -0400

I run - an AOL IM profile service with currently about
14,000 users. I'd like to know why raw spaces in a URI from the AOL IM
client return a 400 "bad request." Normally, Internet Explorer, Netscape,
and other browsers do the %20 conversion. The AOL IM client's "browser" does
not. This all used to be fine and dandy with Apache Server until this

Apache Version: Apache/1.3.26
Apache Release: 10326100
Apache API Version: 19990320

I was just wondering why this was changed, and if it will possibly be
reverted in a future release. This change has made it so that people with
spaces in their AOL IM screen names can no longer view other people's

Thank you for your time,

----- End forwarded message -----

View raw message