httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <>
Subject Re: Tagged the tree
Date Sun, 08 Sep 2002 22:22:19 GMT
On Sat, Sep 07, 2002 at 07:00:27PM -0400, Ryan Bloom wrote:
> Generally, we do not create tarballs of tags, because the tags are meant
> to be used by developers before the release is rolled.  The problem with
> tarballs, is that once they are created, they can be downloaded, and then
> it is very difficult to determine which version of the tarball a user
> has.  By restricting things to just CVS tags, we can be sure that only
> developers or users who REALLY understad that they aren't getting a
> release get the code.  Then, once it has been well tested, we can roll a
> tarball for general release.

Well I don't think we feel any differently about tags vs. tarballs, it's
just a little extra work to create tarballs. We really shouldn't ever
move any tags around anyway, since it's just as difficult to figure
out what you checked out from a moving tag as it is to match a tarball
to a version...

If there are enough people like Chris who want snapshot-like tarballs
of development tags that we are making, I'd be happy to roll unofficial
tarballs and stick them up on my site for a few days.

View raw message