httpd-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Brian Pane <>
Subject Re: mod_custom_log exits too late?
Date Mon, 16 Sep 2002 16:46:47 GMT
On Mon, 2002-09-16 at 03:41, Greg Stein wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 15, 2002 at 01:24:19AM -0700, Brian Pane wrote:
> >...
> > I.e., proceed with the release of 2.0.41 now (given all the
> > stability and performance fixes, I don't want to delay its
> > release any longer), and then spend, say, the next month
> > cleaning up APIs for a 2.0.42 release.  That would also
> > be a good opportunity to put out a formal call for comments
> > from third party module developers before "freezing" the
> > API.
> You're fooling yourself if you think that is possible. There is no way to
> proactively know that your API is correct. Only after further development
> will you know whether your API suits whatever it is that you're trying to
> accomplish. Of course, *that* changes all the time, so your API is going to
> be changing all the time, too.

I disagree entirely.  There's no need to let the API keep changing
continuously, especially not for the sake of "correctness."  All of
our competitors provide API stability.  And as a result, people who
develop modules for, say, IIS or IPlanet don't need to worry about
their code breaking with every maintenance release.

>From the perspective of someone who builds custom solutions on top
of 2.0, if I had the choice between:
  Option 1: 2.0.42 is an "API freeze" with no MMN major increments
    allowed for the next quarter (except where required by for
    security fixes or major bugfixes), or
  Option 2: The MMN major number remains subject to change every
    time some httpd developers's pet project gets committed,
I'd definitely choose Option 1 (yes, even if that limits what
I can accomplish when I put on my "Apache developer" hat).


View raw message