httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Pane <brian.p...@cnet.com>
Subject Re: mod_custom_log exits too late?
Date Sun, 15 Sep 2002 08:24:19 GMT
On Sat, 2002-09-14 at 23:40, Cliff Woolley wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Sep 2002, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>
> > >do you realize how many people HATE having to recompile their modules,
> > >and what a pain it is for commerical vendors to support?
> >
> > No, apparently 90% of this list doesn't share a concern for breaking
> > existing installs, since this conversation comes up frequently, and
> > those opinions for consistency and predictability, predictably fail to
> > carry the day.
>
> I've been willing to accept MMN bumps thus far because 1.3 also had a
> number of MMN bumps in its infancy.  But we're rapidly approaching the
> point where 2.0.x needs to pick an MMN (and all that that entails) and
> stick with it, IMHO.

Then let's make 2.0.42 a "stabilize the interfaces" release.

I.e., proceed with the release of 2.0.41 now (given all the
stability and performance fixes, I don't want to delay its
release any longer), and then spend, say, the next month
cleaning up APIs for a 2.0.42 release.  That would also
be a good opportunity to put out a formal call for comments
from third party module developers before "freezing" the
API.

Brian