httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Mladen Turk" <mt...@mappingsoft.com>
Subject RE: Fixed htpasswd?
Date Sat, 14 Sep 2002 06:27:12 GMT

> From: William A. Rowe, Jr. [mailto:wrowe@rowe-clan.net]
>
> That wasn't all that was borked here.  This file is a total
> mess, and needs to be entirely refactored.  We are trapping
> on situations that are not errors and shouldn't be expected
> to work (fail to open a non existant file for append?  Duh.)
> And we entirely fail to look for errors and report them when
> we should.  The Apache project put its name behind this code?  Bleck.

Year or so ago I've make a complete rewrite of the htpasswd that
remained the logic, but then "someone" told me that this is too much
"changes" at once and that people cannot follow the code difference.
Nice to see that the winds are changing :).

Now I'm proposing (like I did a year ago) that we build an
infrastructure that can be put in the apr_util or kept in httpd that
will all the auth utilities use for managing password
files/databases/etc...
The current htpasswd, htdigest and htdbm utils will then become only the
user interface to that code base, and all that is needed is a decent
API.

MT.