httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Peter J. Cranstone" <cransto...@msn.com>
Subject RE: mod_blanks
Date Thu, 26 Sep 2002 19:54:11 GMT
Fabio,

Mod_gzip for Apache is a better solution. Prior to it's release both
Kevin and I looked at what we call "poor man's compression". I.e. just
removing the blank spaces, lines and other garbage in a served page.

Here was what we learned.

No one was interested. It didn't save much on the overall page, and
people really don't like their HTML etc being messed with.

Also it's easier if you are going to spend the CPU cycles to simply use
gzip compression to squeeze the page by upwards of 80%+ and save all the
formatting to the Author's HTML

Mod_gzip already saves a ton of bandwidth and with a current browser
there is no need to install a client side decoder.

Regards,

Peter J. Cranstone

-----Original Message-----
From: fabio rohrich [mailto:rostich77@yahoo.it]
Sent: Thursday, September 26, 2002 6:38 AM
To: dev@httpd.apache.org
Subject: mod_blanks

I'm going to develop this topic for thesis.
Has anybody of you any suggest for it? Something to
addin the development (like compression of the string
) or some feature to implement!

And, the last thing, what do you think about it?

Thanks a lot,
Fabio

- mod_blanks: a module for the Apache web server which
would on-the-fly
remove unnecessary blank space, comments and other
non-interesting
things from the served page.  Skills needed: the C
langugae, a bit of
text parsing techniques, HTML, learn Apache API.
Complexity: low to
moderate (after learning the API).  Usefulness:
moderate to low (but
maybe better than that, it's a kind of nice toy topic
that could be
shown to save a lot of bandwith on the Internet :-).

Mio Yahoo!: personalizza Yahoo! come piace a te
http://it.yahoo.com/mail_it/foot/?http://it.my.yahoo.com/