httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Andre Schild" <A.Sch...@aarboard.ch>
Subject Change to mod_deflate for better browser-dependent support
Date Wed, 07 Aug 2002 13:42:52 GMT
The current version of mod_deflate has the problem that it's almost
impossible to customize it for different client browsers.

One problem is, that it only looks if the environment variable exists.

apr_table_get(r->subprocess_env, "gzip-only-text/html")

If it exists, then only html stuff is compressed.
But since it's not possible to conditionaly unset a env variable, why
not look for the value of the variable.

Something like

&& strncmp(apr_table_get(r->subprocess_env,
"gzip-only-text/html"),"1",1))

This change would allow us to have sequences like:

SetEnv gzip-only-text/html 1
BrowserMatch "GECKO" gzip-only-text/html=0

This way we can build a "positive" list of browsers who support 100%
compressed content.

Of course this doesn't solve the "older" IE problems with compressed
CSS and such content.

I'd be willing to submit a patch if we can agree on such a change.

André