httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "jb2002@pc9.org" <jb2...@pc9.org>
Subject 2.0.40 (UNIX), mysterious SSL connections to self
Date Fri, 30 Aug 2002 00:37:58 GMT
I apologize if this (bug?) has already been brought up or resolved earlier.
I noticed a frequently occuring error being logged:

[error] Spurious SSL handshake interrupt [Hint: Usually just one of those
OpenSSL confusions!?]

Looking into the matter, I discovered that this error is logged whenever a
connection from localhost to localhost:443 is made. The errors ALWAYS occur
after apachectl startssl; they never occur with apachectl start.

Netstat can't identify the PID of the originator. But I'm quite sure the
connections originate from httpd back to itself, but only when SSL is
active. Watching the server for a while with tcpdump -i lo port 443, I can
see these mysterious connections at irregular times and the resulting
errors.

Another thing I discovered is that the frequency of mysterious connections
to self is closely related to the amount of server traffic (purely non-SSL
traffic). I extracted times from my logs and plotted the data, which shows
that the frequency of the 'Spurious SSL' errors is related to the amount of
server traffic. Note that there is no actual SSL traffic; it's completely
firewalled off.

http://www.pc9.org/usage/spurious_errors.png

Why does Apache connect to itself on the ssl port? Is this a bug relating
to the thread cleanup/reset procedure (hence, more traffic, more cleanups,
more connections, more errors?).

Regards,

Jem Berkes
www.pc-tools.net