httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rasmus Lerdorf <>
Subject Re: Thread-unsafe libraries in httpd-2.0
Date Thu, 15 Aug 2002 16:40:06 GMT
On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> [ Moving to dev@httpd where this belongs ]
> On Thu, Aug 15, 2002 at 07:10:02AM -0700, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
> > Correct.  From the feedback I am getting, users do not adequately
> > understand the implications of choosing a threaded MPM.  We need to do a
> > better job educating them to the fact that we simple cannot guarantee
> > which libraries are threadsafe and which are not.
> Precisely which libraries are the core of httpd-2.0 using in a
> thread-unsafe manner?  At least in the core distribution, we
> should have knowledge of which libraries are thread-unsafe and
> prevent this.  To my knowledge, I haven't seen a single problem
> related to this.  If you have actual cases where httpd-2.0 is
> doing something unsafe, please let us know!
> I think perhaps your concern is simply to PHP which may bring
> in thread-unsafe libraries not httpd-2.0.  -- justin

As I have stated a dozen times now.  Yes, I am talking about PHP and any
other add-on module people may use.  I think the attitude of most people
here sucks.  "Apache doesn't have a problem, why should we do anything?"

The reality is that a big chunk of our Apache community uses Apache to
serve up complex dynamic content using PHP, mod_perl, other 3rd-party
modules and homegrown modules as well. PHP and mod_perl alone are on well
over 50% of all Apache servers. People don't look to Apache for simply
serving up static content. A lot of sites replaced Apache long ago with
thttpd/Zeus/boa/Tux/khttpd for that.  All I am after is a simple very
visible addition to the Apache 2 distribution which explains that the
threaded mpms may not be suitable for serving up dynamic content due to
the unknown thread safety of the libraries these dynamic solutions rely

View raw message