httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rasmus Lerdorf <ras...@apache.org>
Subject RE: perchild on FreeBSD 5?
Date Tue, 13 Aug 2002 15:50:40 GMT
> I agree with Pier, the threaded MPM has been a real lifesaver. Supporting
> 10,000+ concurrent clients with Apache 1.3 (including some complex modules)
> on AIX and Solaris is practically impossible.  Quite doable with Apache 2.0
> and the worker MPM.

I am sure it does, but you also need to recognize that around 40% of all
Apache installations have PHP on them.  And 30% or so have mod_perl.  Many
actually have both, so there is some overlap, but I would say that over
half of all Apache installs have one or both of PHP or mod_perl.

Apache 2 is being pitched as a production-quality web server without any
mention of the fact that over half of the current Apache sites probably
should not upgrade at this point.

-Rasmus