httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Marr <gr...@alum.wpi.edu>
Subject Re: Thread-unsafe libraries in httpd-2.0
Date Fri, 16 Aug 2002 14:53:02 GMT
At 10:41 AM 8/16/2002, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> > And, my point back to you is that should be part of the
> documentation
> > of the module NOT of httpd-2.0.
>
>IMNSHO, that is *such* BS.  If someone has a working Web server and
>upgrades following our recommendations, and things stop working,
>it's not PHP that will get blamed.  PHP still works just fine; there
>always has been the potential for trouble with threaded libraries,
>but that wasn't an issue because the Web server didn't use threads.
>
>What changed?  The Web server; it started supporting threads.  So it
>behooves the Web server to document the potential for problems.  Why
>should the burden be put on PHP, or any other module for that
>matter?  *They* weren't the ones that enabled threading.

I don't see what the big deal is here.  It doesn't have to be one or
the other.  It REALLY is up to PHP and mod_perl to let their users
know that they aren't thread-safe.  It would also be helpful for
Apache to let its users know that there are potential problems due to
non-thread-safe third-party modules.

As someone else posted, put a notice in the Apache distribution area
that Apache 2.0 now supports threaded models, and before upgrading to
Apache 2.0 and using one of the threaded models, users should check
with each third-party module that they use to see if they're
thread-safe.

Then PHP and mod_perl can put notices in their distribution areas
that some of the libraries they use aren't thread-safe, and that
until this is fixed, users should not use any of the threaded models
in Apache 2.0, and recommend use of the non-threaded models.

--
Greg Marr
gregm@alum.wpi.edu