httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: what's the hubbub? (was: Re: 2.0/2.1 split)
Date Fri, 30 Aug 2002 22:15:17 GMT
At 04:28 PM 8/30/2002, Marc Slemko wrote:
>On Fri, 30 Aug 2002, Ian Holsman wrote:
>
> > exactly,
> > this talk of 2.1/branching etc is very premature.
> > if you think your going to destablize the tree, then do your changes on
> > a copy of the file.. and when your done just overwrite the old one.
>
>In preference to doing that, just create a temporary branch for
>those changes, develop and stabilize them on the branch, then merge
>them back into the main tree when ready.  Sure, some problems won't
>be found until they are merged back but this does allow interested
>developers to work together and test on that branch.

+1 on this alternative for proceeding with experiments, until they are
quite stable.

>Note that this requires either only branching the files you are
>working with and hoping that is all you have to change, or merging
>all other changes in other files into your branch as you go so the code
>you are working with is up to date with the head.  Neither are likely
>to be big time sinks if the changes are reasonably isolated.

Right.  No huge trees just to work on small side-projects like filters,
etc.  When they are ready to be merged back, we see if we can do
that without changing the API.  When we have viable code that will
break all of the module author's assumptions, then we have the
instant justification for the 2.1 bump.

Bill