httpd-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <>
Subject Re: 2.0.40 -- again
Date Thu, 01 Aug 2002 20:00:37 GMT
At 11:15 AM 8/1/2002, you wrote:
>Because there always seems to be one more person saying "ooh ooh wait for
>this one last thing" and the group is too afraid to do a dead-end branch.

Because they are time consuming, and wasteful?

The security incident we are discussing [which is not published] is NOT a
root exploit or anything so extreme.  It's a simple case of sharing too much
with the client, it is an edge case, and does NOT warrant a premature release.

The other reason for being hot on .40 is the borked htpasswd program.  That
too would be nice to fix, but the prior .36 release works fine for those stuck
in-between with .39.

>David Reid writes:
> > If it warrants a release then we need to get one done ASAP. If that 
> involves
> > going back to a known poll implementation in APR then so be it, but please
> > let's actually decide what we're trying to achieve here folks and have a go
> > at achieving it.
>I completely agree. Let's tag a candidate at the last known point before
>the poll changes and test that. If there are showstopper problems in
>that which have simple fixes, then we branch and patch with no intention
>of using CVS to merge back to head (we can do it manually later).

The overhead of testing all this is a PITA and gets us no closer to releasing
CVS head.

Can we do this right and make .40 the version for all those folks waiting
patiently for a stable and well tested release?  If head is borked, let's get
it fixed and move forwards, not sideways.


View raw message