httpd-dev mailing list archives

From David Burry <dbu...@tagnet.org>
Subject Re: 2.0.40 (UNIX), mysterious SSL connections to self
Date Fri, 30 Aug 2002 03:18:37 GMT
You may want to try actually grabbing a couple-byte monitor page in your case from the load
balancers and parse it and look for a special string inside it, that's what we do and that
works well.  This method not only tests if a connection is being opened, but more thoroughly
tests server internals (i.e. Tomcat if you're using mod_jk for instance).  And since they're
all valid requests we can just do a simple <container>SetEnv var</container> or
SetEnvIf var and CustomLog !var to filter out the noise, that way no Perl overhead.  BTW,
we're doing our health checks every 5 seconds not every 1 second.

Dave