httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Holsman <i...@apache.org>
Subject Re: what's the hubbub? (was: Re: 2.0/2.1 split)
Date Fri, 30 Aug 2002 21:19:30 GMT
Greg Stein wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 11:00:49AM -0700, Brian Pane wrote:
>
>>Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>>
>>>I honestly don't care where this ends up.  It just needs to get
>>>in to our tree somewhere.  The aaa code is broken.  It needs to
>>>be fixed (and I believe the patches we already have start the
>>>process).  2.0, 2.1, 3.0, 1.4 - whatever.  I'm perfectly happy
>>>to break backwards-compatibility.  -- justin
>>
>>I wouldn't object to breaking aaa backward compatibility in 2.0,
>>if it eliminates (for now) the need to start 2.1.
>

> Hey... I don't believe it is going to break backwards compat [in a big way].
> I'm not sure what the fuss is all about. Since it won't break compat, then
> it doesn't need a 2.1 bump.
>
> I think in the end, there will be these minor compat problems:
>
> * some LoadModule lines will need to go away; some added
>
>   [ and the failure mode here makes this painless; it will be very obvious
>     that you need to toss a LoadModule when Apache says it can't find it.
>     and that you need to load another when it doesn't understand a directive
>     that you had in the file. ]
>
> * an undocumented feature of AuthUserFile and AuthGroupFile will go away. it
>   is unknown how the hell they worked to begin with.
>

> I believe that is it. Justin: what else do you think will change from a user
> standpoint?
>
> And note that the API isn't changing here, either. Justin is adding APIs for
> people, but no changes.

exactly,
this talk of 2.1/branching etc is very premature.
if you think your going to destablize the tree, then do your changes on
a copy of the file.. and when your done just overwrite the old one.

I'm thinking a in-progress directory should be created for these kind of
things, simliar to the experimental mpm tree.

what we need most is a stable tree for a couple of months not spliting
out to a 2.1 tree