httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Jess M. Holle" <je...@ptc.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Move AUTH_LDAP to /experimental (was:authentication rewrite)
Date Wed, 28 Aug 2002 14:22:57 GMT
I also find the current 'httpd-ldap' sub-project status lamentable --
though at least at 2.0.40 it builds (but has to be patched to run on
Windows!) and includes instructions for making it part of your Apache 2
build process (on UNIX).

The lack of MSVC++ projects on Windows (which www.rudedog.org and Apache
2 main modules both provide for their stuff), the lack of API
compatibility, usage/test exposure, etc, all make the sub-project a bad
thing.  Worse, it has scared off the original www.rudedog.org folk from
maintaining it -- leaving critical LDAP authentication functionality in
limbo.

Overall, these modules should either move into experimental or back to
rudedog.org!

--
Jess Holle

G√ľnter Knauf wrote:

>the last year showed that auth_ldap was always forgotten when the Apache2 APIs changed
while all other modules which were in the main source tree were always correctly updated.
So this ended up in that auth_ldap wasnt usable / compilable the whole last year; or better
since it moved to its own project.
>So keeping the module as an own project is more worse than removing it completely from
the Apache projetcs...
>then it's better if the original author maintains it again...
>so if you dont want to move it into the Apache2 sources back remove it completely and
tell the original author that the ASF is not willing to maintain the module!