httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Jess M. Holle" <je...@ptc.com>
Subject Re: Apache 1.3.x and 2.0.x Performance Issue
Date Tue, 27 Aug 2002 20:54:56 GMT
I can check into this (as I said another engineer ran the tests), but
these servers were on the same network segments.

Also, our customers are seeing roughly the same numbers (at least for
Apache 1.3 -- they're not up to 2.0 yet).

--
Jess Holle

Clay Webster wrote:

>Jess,
>
>Were IIS and Tomcat on the same windows hardware as
>the Apache httpds?  Are you seeing network issues
>(e.g.- rexmits) -- you might have them everywhere, but
>your Solaris may not be configured well (ndd,MTU,etc).
>
>--cw

and the client is Solaris (and perhaps others).

>Before you stop reading this as simply "we know Windows does not perform well", I should
point out that this does not occur when the client is Windows or Linux, nor when the server
is on the same Windows box but is IIS or Tomcat (standalone)!

>Some rough download speeds:
>
>    * recent Apache 1.3.x on Windows:
>          o client on Solaris (8): 80K/sec
>          o client on Linux or Windows: 8MB/sec
>    * recent Apache 2.0.x on Windows:
>          o client on Solaris (8): 120K/sec
>          o client on Linux or Windows: 8MB/sec
>    * IIS on Windows
>          o any client tried: 8-9 MB/sec
>    * Tomcat (standalone) on Windows
>          o any client tried: ~8MB/sec
>

>just out of interest does the same thing happen when we have a solaris server and a windows
client?
>I'm not sure.  I've not yet tried that (and actually another engineer ran all these tests).
 I also just noticed that I got some numbers slightly wrong: