httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Jess M. Holle" <je...@ptc.com>
Subject Re: Apache 1.3.x and 2.0.x Performance Issue
Date Tue, 27 Aug 2002 20:30:17 GMT
Ian Holsman wrote:

> Jess M. Holle wrote:
>
>> Both Apache 1.3.x and 2.0.x suffer a severe perfomance issue when the
>> server is on Windows and the client is Solaris (and perhaps others).
>>
>> Before you stop reading this as simply "we know Windows does not
>> perform well", I should point out that this does not occur when the
>> client is Windows or Linux, nor when the server is on the same
>> Windows box but is IIS or Tomcat (standalone)!
>>
>> Some rough download speeds:
>>
>>     * recent Apache 1.3.x on Windows:
>>           o client on Solaris (8): 80K/sec
>>           o client on Linux or Windows: 8MB/sec
>>     * recent Apache 2.0.x on Windows:
>>           o client on Solaris (8): 120K/sec
>>           o client on Linux or Windows: 8MB/sec
>>     * IIS on Windows
>>           o any client tried: 8-9 MB/sec
>>     * Tomcat (standalone) on Windows
>>           o any client tried: ~8MB/sec
>>
> just out of interest does the same thing happen when we have a solaris
> server and a windows client?

I'm not sure.  I've not yet tried that (and actually another engineer
ran all these tests).  I also just noticed that I got some numbers
slightly wrong:

Apache 2.0.39 on Windows

        * client on Solaris (8): 649 K/s
        * client on Linux: 9.1 MB/s

[I've appended this amended info to the bug report.]

--
Jess Holle