httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Jess M. Holle" <je...@ptc.com>
Subject Apache httpd-ldap module issue
Date Tue, 27 Aug 2002 16:58:28 GMT
The Apache 2 modules in the httpd-ldap sub-project (which should be
moved into 'experimental' in my opinion and have standard MSVC++
projects created, etc -- though I have no vote) crash on Windows 2000 in
Apache 2.0.40.  [Yes, I'll file a bug as appropriate.]

The issue is use of uninitialized memory in util_ldap_cache_init() [in
util_ldap_cache.c].  This routine declares a variable on stack,
'rmm_lock', and passes it to apr_rmm_init() without initializing it.
 apr_rmm_init() expects this argument to be initialized and causes a
later crash on Windows as a result of finding random gargly-gook in this
structure and interpretting it in such a way that does not match the
reality of the situation.

My patch (sorry I'm new at this and don't know how to generate proper
patches :-(  ) is to no longer declare this variable and pass NULL to
apr_rmm_init() in its place -- as apr_rmm_init() can take a NULL for
this argument.  This seems to work fine on Windows and Solaris -- though
I can't get this module to load on AIX (no, I've not yet tried the
original code....)

The line are (in patch pseudo-syntax):

Lines 293-297:

      apr_status_t util_ldap_cache_init(apr_pool_t *pool, apr_size_t
    reqsize)
      {
    -     apr_anylock_t rmm_lock;

      #if APR_HAS_SHARED_MEMORY

and lines 305-308:

          /* This will create a rmm "handler" to get into the shared
    memory area */
      -    apr_rmm_init(&util_ldap_rmm, &rmm_lock,
      +    apr_rmm_init(&util_ldap_rmm, NULL,
                  (void *)apr_shm_baseaddr_get(util_ldap_shm), reqsize,
    pool);
      #endif

The only alternative that I see is to add a call to initialize
'rmm_lock', but from my brief scan it would appear that passing null is
a more efficient way of accomplishing the same thing.

Any comments?

--
Jess Holle