httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Move AUTH_LDAP to /experimental (was: authentication rewrite)
Date Tue, 27 Aug 2002 16:44:35 GMT
Graham Leggett wrote:
> rbb@apache.org wrote:
>
>> I am very much against putting more modules into the standard server.
>

> I think such a decision should be based on whether it is desirable for
> core Apache to offer certain features, not whether there are many or few
> modules in the core.
>
> Remember that putting more modules into the server makes life easier for
> end users. As long as those modules support a core set of functionality
> that can be expected of a webserver, they should be included.

+1

I would be happier with a good system for integrating non-core modules,
such as an apache-rollup or a CPAN/freebsd ports like system. BUT, since
nobody seems willing to step-up and create such a system, I think it
would be a mistake to prevent good modules from getting the wider
distribution that they can expect from the core distribution.  Freezing
apache features to wait for some mythical system to appear would be a
mistake.

(By the way, my +1 does not apply to ldap in particular.  I haven't
reviewed it technically, so I shouldn't vote on it.)

Joshua.