httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Ames <grega...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Why can't ap_send_error_response() count on charset?
Date Tue, 13 Aug 2002 16:52:25 GMT
Carlo Perassi wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 11:06:57AM -0400, Greg Ames sent those random bytes:
> > Can you try it again with current cvs HEAD?  I'm not familiar with the W3C
> > Validator test, but I would hope that if it saw a good http Content-Type header,
> > it wouldn't need the stuff in the html meta line.

> it's trivial to change the Apache C code to generate W3C pages but they have
> technical reasons which don't permit to define a meta tag with charset
> definition...

Well, really it's more of a philosophical issue than a technical reason.  This
code should be as simple as possible due to its use in error situations, plus I
dislike the idea of having to maintain the same information in two different
places.  But if the meta tag is necessary for some reason (which I don't
understand) we can easily add it, as you pointed out.  What do the html experts
think?  Joshua?  Cliff?

> so some minutes ago, on the Apache CVS tree it's appeared a fix
> for a header problem, and as Greg Ames <gregames@apache.org> said
> "I would hope that if (the Validator) saw a good http Content-Type header,
> it wouldn't need the stuff in the html meta line."
>
> Before trying the new Apache CVS code...

Carlo, I don't think the fix I commited will make a difference here, now that I
see what you are doing.  So trying cvs HEAD would be a waste of your time.  It
only improves things when an ErrorDocument local redirect fails.  You are
already getting a good http Content-Type header from apache.org, but no meta tag
in the html.  I am curious to hear what the W3C Validator people say.

> carlo@voyager:~$ telnet www.apache.org 80
> Trying 63.251.56.142...
> Connected to daedalus.apache.org.
> Escape character is '^]'.