httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: Looking for some help developing a MPM
Date Mon, 05 Aug 2002 16:35:42 GMT
Ryan Bloom wrote:

> BTW, I realize that there is a lot of questions over whether the ASF
> license and the GPL are compatible, but the State-Threads library is
> GPL'ed, not LGPL'ed.  There are some members of the ASF board who say
> that they are compatible, there are some members who say they aren't.
> The FSF says the aren't.  I believe that we are in murky waters with an
> MPM that MUST link to a GPL'ed library.  Doesn't that mean that the MPM
> must also be GPL'ed.  Isn't that why the GPL is a viral license????

Okey, here's my take on this:

The GPL has some interestingly applicable clauses:
"Activities other than copying, distribution and modification
are not covered by this License; they are outside its scope."

and

"In addition, mere aggregation of another work not based on
the Program with the Program (or with a work based on the
Program) on a volume of a storage or distribution medium does
not bring the other work under the scope of this License."

So I think it's quite clear that we are in no danger if we
put the MPM into our repository, as long as it doesn't include
any of the actual GPLed code.

Here's the clause that makes the GPL viral, Ryan:

"b) You must cause any work that you distribute or publish,
that in whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program
or any part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to
all third parties under the terms of this License."

We're not doing anything even remotely resembling the above,
so we're safe.
--
#ken	P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"