httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Scott Lamb <>
Subject Re: ldap
Date Thu, 01 Aug 2002 19:16:10 GMT
Graham Leggett wrote:
> Also the concept of "working on it" needs clarification. If the thing
> works as it stands, then there is no reason to commit anything to it.
> However some people have translated "no commits to the code" as meaning
> "noone is maintaining it", which I believe is wrong.

FWIW, there definitely are problems:

- no documentation. I've heard it mentioned and seen it in google
caches, but it seems to be gone otherwise. (It didn't make the
transition to the httpd-ldap module? Maybe it's in the cvs attic somewhere.)
- not closing connections. The patch to fix this was trivial, but I was
surprised no one had seen this problem before. (Are there any cases it
didn't occur?) It suggests to me no one uses it intensely.
- ldap_status always says nothing is cached.
- with caching disabled, it segfaults. (I think because lots of code
assumes util_ald_create_caches will return non-null. IIRC it segfaults
at util_ldap.c:766 in revision 1.5)

These are why I asked earlier if it was maintained. And why I still
don't really trust it.

I'm not a developer, but I'd also like to see it moved to experimental.
I think the additional exposure would get these problems solved.

Scott Lamb

View raw message