httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <>
Subject Re: 2.0/2.1 split was Re: authn/authz split
Date Fri, 30 Aug 2002 17:28:49 GMT
On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 10:17:52AM -0700, Aaron Bannert wrote:
> No, that's exactly the problem we have with 1.3 right now. There *are*
> people who are willing to backport fixes and even features to the 1.3
> tree, it's only a faction of the group here that *doesn't* want that to
> happen. I see no reason to close any httpd source tree. If it's just one
> person complaining that they don't want to backport their changes, then
> they shouldn't do it. This is a volunteer organization, do only what you
> want to do, but don't prevent anyone else from have the same abilities.

Um.  I refuse to get stranded in 2.1 if I'm the only sucker there.
I don't want to spend *my* time forward-porting fixes because
everyone else is still on 2.0.  That's a ridiculous waste.  I'd
be spending all my time merging.

You can't have it both ways - "enforce frequent branching" *and*
"don't require people to commit to the latest branch."  That's
going to kill everyone off.  Pick one.

I honestly don't care where this ends up.  It just needs to get
in to our tree somewhere.  The aaa code is broken.  It needs to
be fixed (and I believe the patches we already have start the
process).  2.0, 2.1, 3.0, 1.4 - whatever.  I'm perfectly happy
to break backwards-compatibility.  -- justin

View raw message