httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject what's the hubbub? (was: Re: 2.0/2.1 split)
Date Fri, 30 Aug 2002 20:37:21 GMT
On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 11:00:49AM -0700, Brian Pane wrote:
> Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> >I honestly don't care where this ends up.  It just needs to get
> >in to our tree somewhere.  The aaa code is broken.  It needs to
> >be fixed (and I believe the patches we already have start the
> >process).  2.0, 2.1, 3.0, 1.4 - whatever.  I'm perfectly happy
> >to break backwards-compatibility.  -- justin
>
> I wouldn't object to breaking aaa backward compatibility in 2.0,
> if it eliminates (for now) the need to start 2.1.

Hey... I don't believe it is going to break backwards compat [in a big way].
I'm not sure what the fuss is all about. Since it won't break compat, then
it doesn't need a 2.1 bump.

I think in the end, there will be these minor compat problems:

* some LoadModule lines will need to go away; some added

  [ and the failure mode here makes this painless; it will be very obvious
    that you need to toss a LoadModule when Apache says it can't find it.
    and that you need to load another when it doesn't understand a directive
    that you had in the file. ]

* an undocumented feature of AuthUserFile and AuthGroupFile will go away. it
  is unknown how the hell they worked to begin with.

I believe that is it. Justin: what else do you think will change from a user
standpoint?

And note that the API isn't changing here, either. Justin is adding APIs for
people, but no changes.

Cheers,
-g

--