httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Kraemer <>
Subject Re: apachectl and options take 2
Date Fri, 30 Aug 2002 11:14:57 GMT
On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 03:39:35PM -0400, Dave Hill wrote:
> If I am outvoted on the env veriable (and so far it is 2 against me :-)

  That is, three: count me in.

I dislike the "magic" environment changes (unless they are at least
printed out, so that I see what happens), and I also prefer a solution
like the proposed /etc/default/httpd (or /etc/sysconfig/httpd)
which makes it reproducable. But even with a /etc/default/httpd
override, I'd prefer any non-default settings to cause a
log (to stderr? syslog?).

Other than that, +1 in concept on the additional args on the commandline.

UNIX semantics require however that switches PRECEDE the other args,
so how about a solution which accepts generic -D arguments and passes
them to httpd? That allows more fine-grained control over the syntax
of the additional switches.

So, how does
  # apachectl -DSSL start

<>         |     Fujitsu Siemens
Fon: +49-89-636-46021, FAX: +49-89-636-47655 | 81730  Munich,  Germany

View raw message