httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@apache.org>
Subject Re: authentication rewrite
Date Wed, 28 Aug 2002 11:50:52 GMT
On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 11:19:43AM +0200, Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

> > I don't want to add it in and then have to back it out because people
> > didn't realize that it is going to hose existing configs.
>
> Justin - you want me to commit this
> http://www.webweaving.org/~dirkx/aaa.tgz simplication first ? I've held
> back as we where releasing .40. That should make your live a hell of a lot
> simpler.

Yeah, I think we do want to split out authn and authz first.

At this point, my preferred ordering is:

1) split out authn/authz
2) add a generic ap_provider_* mechanism
   (avoids duplication with dav and auth)
3) add provider model to authn

My one concern with your approach is that the naming of
mod_access_dbm.c is awful.  The code looks like it has the right
concept though.

I'm not sure I like mod_authz_dbm.c either.  Hmm.  But, frankly, I
just can't come up with something better.  Anyone else?

I'm beginning to think that we're going to lose all hope of
maintaining backwards compat with the current 2.0 auth.  But, as
Greg said, I definitely think that we're going is going to be an
awfully nice place.  -- justin