httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject Re: Apache 1.3.x and 2.0.x Performance Issue
Date Wed, 28 Aug 2002 09:10:00 GMT

On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, Jess M. Holle wrote:

>     * recent Apache 1.3.x on Windows:
>           o client on Solaris (8): 80K/sec
>           o client on Linux or Windows: 8MB/sec
>     * recent Apache 2.0.x on Windows:
>           o client on Solaris (8): 120K/sec
>           o client on Linux or Windows: 8MB/sec
>     * IIS on Windows
>           o any client tried: 8-9 MB/sec
>     * Tomcat (standalone) on Windows
>           o any client tried: ~8MB/sec
>
> Oddly Apache performance was around 1MB/sec when the request was routed
> through it to mod_jk to Tomcat -- which is far worse than the 8MB/sec,
> but far better than 80-120K/sec.

I'd also look very carefully at the TCP stack configuration. A good
starting point is the spec.org site. Solaris is special.

Also note that the above was done on a local network with propably no
packed drop or out of order arrival. It is relatively easy to optimize a
stack in that environment at the expense of it functioning well in an
overload or WAN environment. Any stack should find an accecptable
compromize across the board. I suspect that some of the above are not.

Dw