httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: adding options to apachectl
Date Tue, 27 Aug 2002 18:29:55 GMT
On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 02:15:16PM -0400, Dave Hill wrote:
> 	I would like to propose a change to apachectl (for 2.0 although
> work with 1.3 as well)
>
> I like using <IfDefined> toggles in the default httpd.conf files
> I provide to customers (for things like Tomcat connectors, PHP...),
> The problem with the toggles is getting them on the command line.

I really like the idea of controlling sections of configs with
IfDefines, and then supplying -Dfoo defines on the command line,
but I don't think these should be controlled by an environment
variable. The only reason for this is that is allows for unexpected
side-effects. I'd rather see us adapt the apachectl script to allow
for arbitrary -D parameters in addition to the start|stop|blah
commands.

This also would work nicely instead of using <IfModule> all over
the place to optionally include features.

-aaron