httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: Perchild on Solaris (was: Perchild works again.... kind of)
Date Tue, 20 Aug 2002 02:27:52 GMT
On Tue, Aug 20, 2002 at 11:07:37AM +0900, Tsuyoshi SASAMOTO wrote:
> On Solaris, this macro definition is required to build successfully:
>   -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500 -D__EXTENSIONS__
>
> By the way, with the perchild MPM, httpd performance is
> "T2 (alternate) thread lib < T1 (default) thread lib".
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3c7681a8.0207152237.2b9a4ec4@posting.google.com
>
> By contrast, with the worker MPM, "T2 thread lib > T1 thread lib"
> (But the difference is smaller than the perchild MPM).
>
> With the perchild MPM and the T2 thread lib, mutex contention
> may cause performance penalty, I guess...

Having just first seen your original post a few seconds ago, I
wanted to point out a couple problems with the test you performed.
The first problem is you had the client and the server on the
same machine, which means that they were fighting each other
for timeslices, which is bad. The second problem is AB isn't
the greatest tool for measuring performance and concurrency. It
is useful for a quick test, and for single-threaded performance,
but terrible at testing the various threaded MPMs.

-aaron