httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Thread-unsafe libraries in httpd-2.0
Date Thu, 15 Aug 2002 17:09:27 GMT
On Thu, Aug 15, 2002 at 09:40:06AM -0700, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
> thttpd/Zeus/boa/Tux/khttpd for that.  All I am after is a simple very
> visible addition to the Apache 2 distribution which explains that the
> threaded mpms may not be suitable for serving up dynamic content due to
> the unknown thread safety of the libraries these dynamic solutions rely
> on.

And, my point back to you is that should be part of the documentation
of the module NOT of httpd-2.0.  Making broad statements that will
confuse our users like "threaded MPMs may not be suitable for serving
up dynamic content" is a ridiculously overbroad and inaccurate
statement.

A better statement may be: "Some PHP or Perl modules may not
interact well with a threaded MPM in httpd-2.0.  Caution is urged
when using a threaded MPM."  To me, that totally belongs in the
PHP or Perl documentation.  That is a limitation of PHP and mod_perl
not of httpd-2.0.

That statement doesn't hold for a mod_jk2 (or whatever the latest
httpd-2.0 Tomcat module is).  It totally depends on how the 3rd
party module is architected not on the architecture of the web
server itself.  -- justin