httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Bojan Smojver <bo...@rexursive.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL]: Bytes received v. mod_log_config
Date Mon, 19 Aug 2002 04:27:40 GMT
Quoting Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkrantz@apache.org>:

> On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 08:25:53AM +1000, Bojan Smojver wrote:
> > I'm playing around with a patch for mod_log_config that would enable
> > logging of the number bytes received per request. That kind of
> > information would then be very useful for determining input traffic
> per
> > virtual host, URL or whatever else, using regular web analysis tools,
> > e.g. webalizer.
> >
> > Does something like that sound like functionality that can be rolled
> > into Apache 1.3/2.0?
>
> For 2.0, you only need to add an input filter at the network
> level (AP_FTYPE_NETWORK-1 priority) to track this data.  Really
> easy to do.

Thanks for the hint! I never thought of that... Since a filter like that is
connection based, I'm not sure (mainly because I don't know much about Apache)
how would that work with persistent connections, chunked encoding and other
cross connection complications in regards to reporting the info per request. Or
would that just 'automagic' from the filter's point of view? If I take that
route, I'll have to do a bit of digging ;-)

> For 1.3, it's possible, but probably more complicated.  -- justin

I guess manual calculation, along the lines of mod_accounting, is probably the
only option there.

Bojan