httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Pier Fumagalli <>
Subject RE: perchild on FreeBSD 5?
Date Wed, 14 Aug 2002 00:33:44 GMT
Quoting Rasmus Lerdorf <>:

> Apache 2 is being pitched as a production-quality web server without any
> mention of the fact that over half of the current Apache sites probably
> should not upgrade at this point.

Sorry to disagree, Rasmus, but if you're talking about PERCHILD, that's a
threaded MPM that will not solve your problem with those libraries used by
PHP which are not thread safe.

If your problem is thread safety, use PREFORK, it works allright, and AFAICS
(from my tests and my experience, I don't want to push my results as "global",
PREFORK works at least as good as the old 1.3.

Plus 2.0 has WORKER, that for less-than-half of this planet is, IMVHO, a
great improvement over the old 1.3 when thread safety is not a problem.

So, what's your point? Apache 2.0 _already_ delivers, for what I can see and
experience on my silly little websites doing several millions hits/day. It can
be used AS 1.3, _and_ it has something extra.

I really don't see your point...

    Pier (2.0 enthusiast!)

View raw message