httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "David Burry" <dbu...@tagnet.org>
Subject Re: perchild on FreeBSD 5?
Date Wed, 14 Aug 2002 06:23:58 GMT
"Pier Fumagalli" <pier@betaversion.org> wrote:
> If your problem is thread safety, use PREFORK, it works allright, and
AFAICS
> (from my tests and my experience, I don't want to push my results as
"global",
> PREFORK works at least as good as the old 1.3.

Yeah, but if you need to use mod_perl at all you're using a whole lot of
alpha code if you use Apache 2.0, even with the prefork mpm... not exactly
something you want to let a lot of revenue ride on if you make much money
through your web site.  The problem isn't that Apache itself is too early to
upgrade, but rather that mod_perl is for many people, so if those people
depend at all on mod_perl then they must not upgrade to apache 2.0 yet!  A
similar situation exists with mod_php.

I'm still on the fence as to the original comment that apache should say
something in the release notes:  on the one hand this mod_perl/mod_php being
behind issue does affect a tremendous number of people, but on the other
hand it's really a third party module dependancy problem not an apache core
issue at all.  I guess because of the large number of people it affects it
could be considered courtesy to at least say something even though
technically it's "not our problem" so to speak... ;o)

Dave