httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ryan Bloom" <...@covalent.net>
Subject RE: Looking for some help developing a MPM
Date Mon, 05 Aug 2002 16:10:00 GMT
> From: Cliff Woolley [mailto:jwoolley@virginia.edu]
>
> On Mon, 5 Aug 2002, Ryan Bloom wrote:
>
> > BTW, I realize that there is a lot of questions over whether the ASF
> > license and the GPL are compatible, but the State-Threads library is
> > GPL'ed, not LGPL'ed.
>
> That's true.  And on its own, you're right, it would mean we could not
> distribute a state threads mpm under an apache license.  But the state
> threads library is dual licensed MPL *or* GPL.  I'm reading the MPL
but am
> as yet unclear as to whether it's equally viral.

Okay, so fair warning, dual-licensing ALWAYS confuses the hell out of
me.

I believe that everybody is willing to accept MPL licensed code, but I'm
not sure how that works.  If you commit GPL'ed code to that library,
that is legal, because the library is under the GPL.  But then, doesn't
the whole library have to become GPL'ed?  I always thought that with a
dual-licensed piece of code, you are basically allowed to commit the
code using either library, and you are allowed to use the code with
either library.  But if that is the case, then why bother with both
licenses, just use the least restrictive license and only have a single
license.

Ryan