httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@attglobal.net>
Subject Re: umask and modules/dav/fs
Date Wed, 10 Jul 2002 11:23:43 GMT
Scott Lamb <slamb@slamb.org> writes:

> I'd like to allow people to update a website either through their
> shell account or WebDAV. My problem is permissions. I can make a group
> "somewebsite" including users apache, bob, and charlie. Then I can
> make all the directories setgid. When bob and charlie make new files
> or directories, everything works out. When Apache does, there's a
> problem: the group write permission is disabled. bob and charlie can't
> modify the file.
>
> I grepped through the source for umask and found this:
>
>      ./modules/dav/fs/dbm.c:    /* ### do we need to deal with the umask? */
>      ./modules/dav/fs/dbm.c:    /* ### do we need to deal with the umask? */
>      ./modules/dav/fs/repos.c:    /* ### do we need to deal with the
> umask? */
>      ./modules/dav/fs/repos.c:    /* ### do we need to deal with the
> umask? */
>
> I think the answer is yes. In my situation, just setting the umask
> globally would work. Are there situations where it'd need to be set on
> a per-directory basis? I.e., is there need for a "DavUmask" directive
> that can be set in <directory> containers?

Perhaps I'm confused, but here goes:

umask only serves to turn off permission bits in the permissions
specified by the program...

mod_dav always specifies 0666 when creating files on Unix, which would
seem to give the admin a lot of leeway in playing with umask (set
umask to desired value in shell before starting Apache); that would
seem to satisfy your desire for a global umask setting...

is the g+s bit getting lost in directories created by Apache/Dav?

have you played with umask in the shell before starting Apache?

I'm unsure about whether a lost g+s bit or a bad umask is causing the
problem.

(I'm even unsure that I know what I'm talking about, but maybe this
will bring out some fresh ideas.)

--
Jeff Trawick | trawick@attglobal.net
Born in Roswell... married an alien...