httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@attglobal.net>
Subject Re: mod_proxy drops the content-length header
Date Mon, 29 Jul 2002 13:35:03 GMT
Graham Leggett <minfrin@sharp.fm> writes:

> Jeff Trawick wrote:
>
> > Agreed, as long as you really mean "zap the content-length header"
> > when you say "update the value of the content-length header".
> > A filter can't ever be *required* to put in the proper content-length
> > value.  All it can usually do is zap the content-length header and
> > rely on the core to do the right thing (using the content-length
> > filter or chunked encoding).
>
> What I mean is that when filter-x is run, a content-length header
> might exist, ie it cannot be assumed at any point that a
> content-length header does not exist.
>
> If as you say the content-length is zapped and readded by another
> filter, that's fine then. A filter should not make assumptions about
> what headers may or may not exist before it is run.
>
> (am I making sense?)

I think we agree :)

. proxy should leave the content-length header alone
. the content-length filter needs to be added for this path

If a filter changes the content-length then its logic is irrespective
of whether or not this is a proxied request.

--
Jeff Trawick | trawick@attglobal.net
Born in Roswell... married an alien...