httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <>
Subject Re: Removing modules
Date Mon, 29 Jul 2002 11:16:15 GMT
Aaron Bannert <> writes:

> I like the idea of decoupling the modules from the core, leaving
> only the ability to serve static files in the base distribution.
> That would allow us to make releases without as many constraints,
> freeing up the modules to release on their own schedule (which
> eventually leads to quicker releases).

I suspect that this would lead to serious frustration in the user
community if popular modules such as rewrite, include, even ssl now,
are released separately from the core.  It is extra work for the users
to track more than one release.

Meanwhile, Apache can't be properly tested on without using
popular add-on modules, so we validate the core server in combination
with at least some of the add-on modules anyway.

So while a module with a fix might be able to be released sooner
(assuming that somebody wants to be RM), the core code probably
couldn't be.  (We don't have that many showstoppers in modules.)

Jeff Trawick |
Born in Roswell... married an alien...

View raw message