httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@attglobal.net>
Subject Re: mod_proxy drops the content-length header
Date Mon, 29 Jul 2002 11:23:49 GMT
Graham Leggett <minfrin@sharp.fm> writes:

> Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>
> > I believe it would be possible for the proxy to delete the
> > content-length header and replace it with another mechanism
> > of its choosing to signal the entity-length.
>
>  From what I can see proxy removes the content-length, and then relies
> on one of the filters to either put the content length back, or use
> chunked encoding.
>
> Trouble is the initial request was an HTTP/1.0 request, not HTTP/1.1,
> which does not understand chunking. It looks like the filter in the
> HTTP/1.0 case doesn't readd the content-length header.
>
> To be honest, I don't think the content-length header should be
> removed in the first place in proxy. If a filter needs to modify the
> content length for any reason, it should update the value of the
> content-length header itself.

Agreed, as long as you really mean "zap the content-length header"
when you say "update the value of the content-length header".

A filter can't ever be *required* to put in the proper content-length
value.  All it can usually do is zap the content-length header and
rely on the core to do the right thing (using the content-length
filter or chunked encoding).
--
Jeff Trawick | trawick@attglobal.net
Born in Roswell... married an alien...