httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <jwool...@virginia.edu>
Subject Re: URL parsing changed between 1.3.23 and 1.3.26?
Date Tue, 02 Jul 2002 21:46:54 GMT
On Tue, 2 Jul 2002, Aaron Bannert wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 05:08:17PM -0400, Cliff Woolley wrote:
> > You're supposed to encode a query string like so:
> > http://myserver.com/file.html?arg1=val1&arg2=val2&arg3=val3
>
> Is that actually part of the URI spec, or just a convention?  I was
> under the impression that the spec only says that args go after
> a ? and everything after is up to the interface implementor (mod
> URI-character-space).

That's true.  But & is definitely the one used by convention.  (Maybe it's
in the CGI spec?  Not sure on that one.)  And that doesn't change the fact
that this in this case ':' was used in place of both the '?' and the
'&', which is definitely wrong.

>From RFC 2396 on URIs:

3. URI Syntactic Components

   each of which, except <scheme>, may be absent from a particular URI.
   For example, some URI schemes do not allow an <authority> component,
   and others do not use a <query> component.

      absoluteURI   = scheme ":" ( hier_part | opaque_part )
      hier_part     = ( net_path | abs_path ) [ "?" query ]
      net_path      = "//" authority [ abs_path ]
      abs_path      = "/"  path_segments

3.4. Query Component

   The query component is a string of information to be interpreted by
   the resource.

      query         = *uric

   Within a query component, the characters ";", "/", "?", ":", "@",
   "&", "=", "+", ",", and "$" are reserved.

--Cliff