httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <jwool...@virginia.edu>
Subject Re: URL parsing changed between 1.3.23 and 1.3.26?
Date Tue, 02 Jul 2002 21:08:17 GMT
On Tue, 2 Jul 2002, Jerry Baker wrote:

> Garey Mills wrote:
> >
> > NOTE: The URL will not work as it stands because it points to a
> > web application and needs to have a session established. But I guarantee
> > that it does work in 1.3.23 and not in 1.3.26, both having mod_ssl and
> > a special module called 'mod_webz' enabled.
>
> The URL has spaces in it. That is a big no no for one. URL's with spaces
> only work in IE even though the HTTP specification prohibits them.

Right.  It's strange though in a way -- shouldn't the browser
automatically encode the spaces?  Hmph.

For another thing -- what's with the colons?

> http://sunsite2.berkeley.edu:4140/WebZ/html/urlwarn.html:sessionid=01-5949
> 6-1036819798:entityartTitle=:entityartAuthor=
> :entityartJournal=UNIX Review:entityartNum=n. 11, :entityartVol=v. 13,
> :entityartPage=p. 137 (1   [snip]

You're supposed to encode a query string like so:

http://myserver.com/file.html?arg1=val1&arg2=val2&arg3=val3

Anyway, the reason this stopped working in 1.3.26 is that we're now more
strict with the request line; as soon as it sees a space after the URL,
the only other thing on the line ought to be "HTTP/1.0" or "HTTP/1.1".  In
your case, the URL itself has spaces in it, which as Jerry pointed out is
and always has been invalid.  You just somehow got away with it before.
Encode the spaces as %20 and it will work.

--Cliff