httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: Envariables for logging phase only
Date Tue, 23 Jul 2002 20:27:12 GMT

On Tue, 23 Jul 2002, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> I personally find that a bit baroque. :-)  Also, it's tied
> specifically to mod_log_config.  However, you've given me
> an idea, so here's a counterproposal:
>
> LogStatus envname[=val] statusre ...

(I think the envname should be last to align with SetEnvIf.)

I'm still in "blue sky" mode, so feel free to ignore me (as usual ;-), but
if you're going to do that, why not go all the way:

LogVariable %s "40[0-9]" exclude
LogVariable %a "127\.0\.0\.1" exclude
LogVariable %U "\.jpg" exclude
LogVariable %{Referer}i "yahoo.com" exclude
Customlog ... env=!exclude

Where the first argument is a log-format %-directive, the second is a
regex, and the third is an environment variable.  I would think that this
should be relatively easy to do given the way mod_log_config works in 2.0.
And it both offers more power than any existing exclusion method, plus it
seems much more obvious.  If you want to exclude anything with xyz from
the logs, it makes sense to use a similar notation to what is necessary to
get xyz to appear in the logs in the first place.

And yes, I'm still a big proponent of not using conditional logging at
all; log everything and postprocess to get rid of what you don't want.
But it is such a commonly requested feature...

Joshua.