httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: Case insensitive issues
Date Sun, 21 Jul 2002 18:41:33 GMT

On Sun, 21 Jul 2002, Adrian Grajdeanu wrote:

> mod_rewrite does solve the problem of case insensitve need. However it is
> not what I like. It modifies the request in such a way that it is visible to
> the client. Why should the client care or even know the details of the
> server and its configuration and layout? In trying to avoid such disclosure
> I would prefer against mod_rewrite and for mod_alias in this case. Am I
> mistaken?

Take another look at mod_rewrite.  This should do exactly what you want
RewriteRule /Foo(.*) c:/Folder/Foo$1 [NC]
(although I haven't used mod_rewrite much on win32, so I'm not
sure about the path syntax.

In fact, I'm fairly sure that there is nothing that you can do with
mod_alias that can't also be done with mod_rewrite.

> Especially I am curious about the Location vulnerability that case
> insensitive filesystems open up, while the Location name can be case
> sensitive only.

I solve that by telling people NEVER to use <Location> when trying to
protect something on the filesystem.  That is what <Directory> is for.

Joshua.