httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: Port 80 vs 8080 when not SU.
Date Wed, 10 Jul 2002 15:29:06 GMT
On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Lars Eilebrecht wrote:

> According to Ravindra Jaju:
>
> > How about an extra echo:
> >
> > if [ "x`$aux/getuid.sh`" != "x0" -a "x$port" = "x" ]; then
> > 	conf_port="8080"
> > 	echo "Non-root process. Server will run on port $conf_port"
> > fi
>
> +1

I don't see how that helps.  Newbie users are either going to miss this
entirely as it scrolls by, or are not going to understand the
implications.  (I know a fair bit about apache configuration, and I
wouldn't really be able to parse that if it flew by with no context.)

I'm not sure what the whole hack is trying to solve.  As I said, it seems
to make things more difficult both for newbies and for experienced users.

Joshua.